Saturday, January 19, 2013

Half-way Through!

Well I can't believe it, but I am officially at my 6 month mark! This means I am half-way through my internship here. Wow, how time flies! These next 6 months will be filled with new challenges and lots of stretching and growing. Let me share with you what's ahead:

As I've probably mentioned before, in your second 6 months of the internship, you have two options:
1) Keep working three day-time intern shifts, with one overnight security shift, as I have done thus far for 6 months, or
2) Keep one day-time intern shift and spend two nights sleeping in the Genesis Suite.

The Genesis Suite is where the residents go who have a lot of trouble at night and need extra help. Many times this is due to severe trauma and abuse they have suffered in the past that cause them to have horrible nightmares and flashbacks. There are four interns who rotate shifts in the Genesis Suite each week, sleeping in there with the ladies to be available to help them at any given time throughout the night.

So as I was preparing for what God had for me in my second 6 months here, I was in a place where I was honestly open to either option. I thought about it and I felt as though the Genesis Suite really wasn't for me and that I could use my strengths better in the day-time internship, but I have learned enough about God and His perfect plans over the years that I was in a place where I wanted whatever God had for me. So I proposed to my supervisor that I believed I would be able to serve the ladies at Vision of Hope better in day-time shifts, and left the ultimate decision up to God. Can you guess what He chose for me?

You guessed it. This past Tuesday night was my first night shift in the Genesis Suite. I spend a lot of time beforehand preparing my heart for whatever God would have for me that night. I was fighting against anxiety in knowing that I would be alone in there and therefore would need to make decision all by myself (gasp!). I placed the night in God's hands, and pressed on. And you know what? I was a tough night. I was VERY challenged in this shift and overwhelmed afterwards as I reflected back on the night. But despite by fear and trepidation, I wouldn't have had it any other way. As I lay in bed that night I thanked God for seeing fit to place me in the Genesis Suite, and for seeing fit that I have a rough night. I am exceedingly thankful for this opportunity to serve the ladies here in this way, and I can see that my love for them is growing already! I am SO excited to learn how to properly struggle WITH someone, and point them to the Lord in a time of great fear. I have more of an opportunity to talk to these ladies one-on-one that I ever did in my day-time shifts, and I love it.

So yet again God has put me in a place where I simply MUST recognize that His plans are always better than my own. He knows me better than I know myself, and He knows exactly what He's doing. He is sovereign, and EVERYTHING that He does is good.

To wrap things up, I ask that you please keep me in your prayers. I obviously need much prayer for wisdom and perseverance in these next 6 months. Pray for the new residents who have been joining us at VOH lately, that they will get settled in and have open hearts and open ears to hear and understand the Word of God as they are being taught here. Pray for the new interns who just started their internship here this past week, and pray for those of us who have been here for 6 months and are starting new shifts ourselves. Pray that the staff here will have great wisdom in dealing with difficult situations that have been coming up, and that they will be able to make wise decisions in ways to improved and expand the Vision of Hope program!

Thank you all SO much for all of your prayers and support! I cannot tell you how important it is to me to have people praying for me.


The heart of man plans his way, but the LORD establishes his steps.
-Proverbs 16:9

No comments:

Post a Comment