Thursday, October 18, 2012

New Job, New Challenges.

  Hello, all! Do you know whose blog you're reading? You are reading the blog of one of the newest secretaries at Vision of Hope! That's right, I am now officially employed! I did not plan to get a job while I'm here, but God opened the door to a job that I had my eye on from day one. Within my first week or two here I noticed the secretaries and the kind of work they do, and I thought to myself, "Wow! I would love to do that!" Little did I know that one of the secretaries would be offered a job as a Second Shift Supervisor for VOH, therefore creating a need to fill her secretary position asap! As soon as I heard of the job opening, my mind went crazy. I wanted to send in my resume for the job rigght away, but they needed someone to work three days a week. That means that I would be on shift as an intern on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, and then on my off days I would be working as secretary 8:00am - 5:00pm. Realizing that my purpose for coming here was to get experience and learn through the internship, I knew that taking on all of those days as secretary would run me ragged and I wouldn't be able to fully focus on my initial reaosn for coming here. So I was torn between wanting this awesome job, which I saw as a great ministry opportunity, and also wanting to be able to give my all to the ladies here at VOH while on shift as an intern.
  While I was still debating in my head, I spoke to one of the other interns here, presenting my delema to her. It turns out she was in the same predicament, so we decided to send in both of our resumes with the proposal that we can both take the job and split the hours. Again, my mind went crazy. I started making all these plans for the rest of my time here and for my future after the internship, and they were all based getting this job. I had to catch myself many times and remind myself of what James 4:13-16 says: "Now listen, you who say, 'Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.' Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, 'If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.' As it is, you boast in your arrogant schemes. All such boasting is evil." I didn't know what God's plan was for me. Yes, I had a plan in my head for myself that I saw as good, but I knew that whatever God's plan was for me would be even better. It was a hard battle between clinging to what I wanted for myself, and surrendering it to the Lord.
  Thankfully, I didn't have to wait very long for the answer! Janessa and I received an email telling us that we would both be hired as secretaries, without an interview! We were so excited!
  So, we have both been working as secretaries since the beginning of October. It had definitely made me more busy, which I see as a good thing besause it is causing me to learn to manage my free time more wisely. I feel very blessed to have this job, and I see it as a great way to serve the amazing staff here!

  One of the things I am most impressed with at Faith Ministries is the church. I have never seen a church so dedicated to finding new ways to meet people's needs. They have great plans for the near future to continue reaching out, and one of them will effect us at VOH greatly. They are currently building a Safe Haven House right next door! And when I say that, I literally mean RIGHT next to us. This house will provide temporary housing for victims of domestic violence and house fires. A couple of weeks ago we had a groundbreaking ceremony for the construction of the Safe Haven House, in which Pastor Viars, Senior Pastor of Faith Church, prayed and dedicated the land to the ministry of the house. It was great to hear how the house will be used and how the staff and residence here at VOH will be very involved with this ministry, helping to welcome in people as they come for housing, and helping to keep the house clean and inviting. They are saying that the house will be up and running sometime in December, so we'll be getting involved very quickly!

  These past few months have had so many challenges, and this internship is trying both emotionally and spiritually, but I'm really loving it here. I'm so excited for what God has for me in the rest of this internship and afterwards as well. Right now I really don't know where He'll lead me after this, but I totally trust that He will reveal that to me in His perfect timing.

  I cannot thank everyone enough for your prayers. Vision of Hope and myself need them more than I can say. Please continue to pray for the ladies here. We have had a couple of ladies quit the program recently and that is very discouraging to everyone. Pray for the staff here, that they will continue to have strength and wisdom in dealing with difficult situations. Also please pray for our fundraising banquet we are having this Saturday, the 20th. It is one of our biggest fundraisers so please pray that everything goes smoothly and that it is a success! Pray for me, that through Christ I will kill my pride, because I'm seeing that that is a problem in my heart. Also pray that God will give me the wisdom I need to deal with every situation with love and in a way that gives glory to Him. Lastly, please pray for the construction and ministry of the Safe Haven House.

  Untill next time, I love you and thank you again for your faithful prayers!


"In their hearts humans plan their course,
but the Lord establishes their steps."
-Proverbs 16:9




Jocelyn Wallace, Director of Vision of Hope, stating her support of and dedication to the Safe Haven House on behalf of Vision of Hope.


The future sight of the Safe Haven House.



No comments:

Post a Comment